Tuesday 19 June 2012


Does anyone remember what it was like on Friday's when the wages staff came around where you worked and you were handed a small buff coloured envelope with your name and works number on it?  Not only was Friday the best day of the week being the one before two days off, it was also 'pay day'. How great did it feel when you had that small brown envelope in your hands?  I can remember the sheer anticipation of prising open the very sticky glue and with two fingers reaching inside to slide out the crisp notes.  Not so long after I started work everyone went over to bank-transfers to receive their salaries and they phased out the wages round, I suppose it was safer to have the money always in the bank instead of having security firms delivering tons of money here and there and everywhere all over our towns.  I've never forgotten though that feeling of holding the real money you had just earned that week by your toil for the engines of industry, it was exciting.  Sometimes there wasn't as much inside the packet as you had reckoned you would receive, fluctuating tax deductions or pay-docked for lateness etcetera.  The best pay-days were when you were taking your annual leave the next week and then your pay-packet would be thick and bulging with an extra fortnights money for your holiday.  How brilliant it was to have your wad of cash and the excitement of a whole two weeks ahead of you with no work!

6 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Jane:
Nothing like the cash in hand!! Here the whole country is a 'cash economy' with many people still receiving weekly wages rather in the way in which you describe. Even State Pensions are delivered, in many instances, once a week, in cash, by the postman. Now can you believe that?!!

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Dear Jane,
Oh how I remember those days ...... cash is much more exciting that a piece of paper isn't it ? It certainly was the best day of the week as, like you say, the weekend beckoned and there was fun to be had !!
Hope that you are feeling well and enjoying this improved weather !! XXXX

Teresa Evangeline said...

I never received my paycheck in the form of cash, but I can so relate, especially now. I made the decision to do more purchasing with cash in order to follow a real budget more closely and it feels wonderful! I love the feel of paper money in my hands! Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Nan said...

That whole piece should be in a book. It is so evocative of a time and place, now gone. Even the idea of a 'fortnight' - 'vacation' or 'holiday' doesn't feel the same somehow. Have you read The Fortnight in September by RC Sherriff? It is so wonderful. I wrote a bit about it:

http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2009/09/fortnight-in-september-by-rc-sherriff.html

WOL said...

I could use some payday envelopes with some actual pay in them. Money has been squeaky tight here lately.

June said...

I remember what few paydays I had before Landon came along and being excited to get it and go to the bank to put it in my account. Now everything is put there instantly and our children's children will never know that feeling of opening their envelope to see what they earned. Kind of sad...but as you said, much safer for everyone.

I loved your previous post and smiled all the way through it. I LOVE your writing and I LOVE your friendship!
love to you from here...