Friday 11 March 2011

Thinking of Japan...

My friend Sonia from http://soniaswonderworld.blogspot.com/ lives in Tokyo, and I've been thinking and thinking of Sonia and her husband and their relatives this morning, after the dreadful disaster of the biggest earthquake Japan has ever suffered and the resulting Tsunami.

Watching the devastation on the television and knowing that there must have been devastating loss of life is just heartbreaking.  Because we now have the internet and worldwide television coverage , it brings the disaster right into our homes...right into our hearts, and our hearts go out to all the people affected and suffering.

And we are reminded that we are all made of the same stuff, that we are all members of this humankind and as such when our neighbours suffer we are each of us changed, a reminder too of how at times like these we are small against the might of Nature.

6 comments:

WOL said...

I've just been watching the news reports. Absolutely horrific. There, but for the grace of God, go we. I sincerely hope your friend and her family are safe.

Sonia said...

Thank you, Jane, thank you so much for your worry and for your care and for your very very kind thoughts and especially your messages that reached me here and helped me feel connected to the world. We are ok now, after a rather rough night with many aftershocks (at one point I stopped counting them). I am glad that my husband arrived home safely, that we are together now, that we are in Tokyo and not in Iwate, and so on. I will write more on my blog later today! Thank you again! Hugs,
Sonia

Debra said...

I hope your friend Sonia is okay. How concerned you must be over this dreadful disaster.
When I watch the devastation on TV it all looks surreal, like a nightmare. My heart goes out to all those suffering.

Christmas-etc... said...

I was so happy to read that Sonia and her husband are okay! Earthquakes are so scary - just so unnatural to the stable earth we believe we live on. But it's not. It moves and when it does... it is frightening. My heart goes out to Sonia and all the people of Japan. They are a brave and beautiful people.
Many blessings and prayers for the strong and noble people of Japan,
Ann

English Muse said...

I've lived through a number of earthquakes here in Southern California but none as big as the one in Japan...I can only imagine how terrifying it must have been. I'm so glad Sonia is ok. Thank you for sharing the link to her blog!
xo
Tina

jennyfreckles said...

It's too terrible for words, when you see those towns that just literally disappeared, all swept away.