Monday 18 October 2010


Wood pigeons calling to the cool blue morning, church bells tolling 7.30,
an early laugh from one lone magpie.  Skywards... air is crisp and clearly blue.
Flowery china with hot black tea and John Betjeman.

Business Girls

From the geyser ventilators
Autumn winds are blowing down
On a thousand business women
Having baths in Camden Town

Waste pipes chuckle into runnels,
Steam's escaping here and there,
Morning trains through Camden cutting
Shake the Crescent and the Square.

Early nip of changeful autumn,
Dahlias glimpsed through garden doors,
At the back precarious bathrooms
Jutting out from upper floors;

And behind their frail partitions
Business women lie and soak,
Seeing through the draughty skylight
Flying clouds and railway smoke.

Rest you there, poor unbelov'd ones,
Lap your loneliness in heat.
All too soon the tiny breakfast,
Trolley-bus and windy street!

Sir John Betjeman

6 comments:

Christmas-etc... said...

Wood pigeons, church bells, magpie's... you just described what I woke up to this morning... It was that first moment of wakefulness and I was bemoaning the lack of springtime blackbirds singing (even though I love autumn too) when these three beautiful sounds seemed to answer my thoughts! Thanks for this and all your lovely comments. I really appreciate your thoughts and encouragement.
Ann

Lesya said...

Your blog is a mine of interesting poetry. Thank you for sharing!

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Such prose to start the workday, allows one to ponder the advantages one might have in their choice of employment. I do believe it was written in the heyday of the Industrial revolution though which would explain the less than habitable conditions...
Enjoy your week with Magpie song.
Susan x

Sandies' Patch said...

Hi there!
I hope the cooler weather doesn't make your ME any worse, if that could be possible?!
I'm a nurse and yes, I have heard some narrow minded doctors dismiss ME as 'Hypochondriacal' (sp?)!
Thank you for your kind comments on my blog.
Your Goerge looked like a smashing little fella, I lovve all cats but but especially tabbies and gingers.
I have known many cats in my lifetime and can honestly say no two are ever quite the same, unlike humans!
Take care, hope life is treating you well.

Sandie xx

P.S I love your poems and tales.

June said...

What sounds to wake to my friend. I love the sound of the church bells as I hear them in the distance amid my day. Small things are really the big things, aren't they.
A lovely poem to ponder. I love your blog!

Splenderosa said...

What a beautiful morning, Jane.
xx's